Tuesday 23 November 2010

Tresses au beurre


I actually made these on Sunday (which is my baking day) but have only just got around to writing up the recipe.
I love to make these because they are so pretty. On Sunday morning I made one for each of the three of us, and a larger one which I put in the freezer for another day. Here's the recipe. Bon appetit!

Makes 2 medium or 6 small tresses

500g flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
75g butter
300 ml milk
20g fresh yeast
1 egg for glazing

Preheat the oven to 180°C

Mix the flour, salt and sugar and rub in the butter.
Heat the milk to body temperature and add the yeast, mix until it has "melted".
Pour the milk/yeast into the flour and knead for 5-10 minutes until you have a soft springy dough.
Cover and leave to rise for 1 hour.
Knock back the dough and knead briefly again.
Separate the dough in two parts (and each again in three parts if you're making the small tresses)
Separate again each part in three parts, which you should roll with you hands to a long sausage shape.
Take the three sausage shapes and make them into a plait, making sure you tuck in the two ends well.
Do the same with the remaining pieces of dough.
Lay them onto a baking sheet, cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes approx.
Brush with beaten egg and cook in the preheated oven at 180° for 20 minutes (small size) or 30 minutes (medium size) until nicely golden.
Leave to cool. They are nice and buttery so you really don't need to add anything to them, though I must admit I like them with just a little bit of jam.

2 comments:

  1. oh yum!! those look DELISH!! I wish your recipe was in US terms tho....like cups...oh well, I'll figure it out! they look too good to pass up!! thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have had a quick look around the web and this page looks very useful:
    http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp
    I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete