Friday 15 April 2011

Baby rainbow sandals


Baby rainbow sandals
Originally uploaded by aishakenza
I've called these baby rainbow sandals because of the yarn I've used to make the most recent pair (Catania Color). However you can make them in a plain colour or two colours. I've indicated where to make the colour changes if you want to make the two-colour version (for a two-colour version see this post).

These baby sandals are 10 cm/4 inches long so size 3 months approx. I have used Catania cotton yarn and a 3mm crochet hook and a tension of 6 sc and 6 rows of sc to an inch/2.5 cm. I did work the sole a bit looser, though. You can probably use the same pattern and thicker yarn for larger sizes but I haven't tested for them yet. If I do, I'll add the details later.

The sandals are worked in a single piece - the only things you need to sew on are the buttons. If you discover anything odd or any changes that would improve the pattern, please let me know.

I have used US terms for this pattern (even though I'm British) as most visitors to my blog seem to hail from the USA. The UK stitch name equivalents are:

US sc = UK dc
US dc = UK tr

Please do not sell this pattern or post it to any website. Please link directly to my blog instead. No file sharing of this pattern. If you use the pattern, I would love to see your creations!

So here we go:

Start with 15 ch.


rnd 1:  1 sc in third chain from hook, 1 sc in each of next 11 chs, 3 sc in next chain, then work 12 sc down the other side of the row of chs. (27 sts)

rnd 2: 2 sc in the next st (mark the first of these 2 sts, and continue to mark the first st of each rnd as you work)1 sc in each of next 12 sts, 2 sc in each of next 3 sts, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts to end. (32 sts)

rnd 3: 1 sc in next st, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts. [1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] three times, 1sc in each of next 12 sts to end. (37 sts)

rnd 4: 1 sc, 2 sc in each of next 3 sts, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts. [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of next 2 sts] three times, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts to end. (43 sts)

rnd 5: 1 sc, [ 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] three times, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts, [1 sc in each of next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st] three times, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts to end (49 sts)

rnd 6: 1 sc, [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of next 2 sts] three times, 1 st in each of next 12 sts, [ 1 sc in each of next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st] three times, 1 sc in each of next 12 sts to end. (55 sts)

rnd 7-10: working in back loop only, 1 sc around (55 sts)

If you're making two-colour shoes this is where you should change colour.


(I've made a small photo tutorial on how to crochet the strap on this post)

rnd 11: still working in the back loop only, 1 sc in each of next 26 sts, [sc2tog, 1 sc in each of next 6 sts] twice, sc2tog, 1 sc in each of next 11 sts to end (52 sts)

rnd 12: working in both loops, 1 sc in each of next 24 sts, [sc2tog, 1sc in next st] six times, 1sc in each of next 10 sts to end. (46 sts)

rnd 13: 1 sc in each of next 24 sts, [dc2tog] six times, 1 sc in each of next 10 sts to end. (40 sts)

rnd 14: sc around (40 sts)

rnd 15 and strap: 1 sc in each of next 16 sts (this is where to change colour if you're making the two-colour version), 18 ch. *1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, 1 dc in each chain**, then 1 dc in each of next 16 sts. 18 ch and rep from * to **. Fasten off, leaving a tail of yarn to attach to the base of the last dc worked on the body of the shoe. Sew two buttons on each shoe.

Pattern changes - please make sure you've got the latest version.
(I just corrected the last row - had got confused with my scs, dcs and trs, sorry!)
(I've included where to change colour for the strap on the two-colour version)
(I made a correction to row 2 where sc/dc confusion had struck again)
(I corrected the hook size - you should use a 3mm hook)

60 comments:

  1. these are too cute! thanks for sharing them. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these!!! Thanks for sharing the pattern!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these are precious for all our grandchildren. thanks for making the patten and so kindly sharing them explained so nicely hugs i'm in Vermont. great Christmas gifts for them all.~~Mattie1940gm.com

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pattern - i am very confused though - stuck on the strap round it doesnt seem quite right - my 16 triples go round front instead of the back? Are you supposed to turn at some point or does the round start in a different place maybe?

    Any help much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi duckalorange,
    The 16 sc on rnd 15 go around the heel of the shoe, then the 18 ch make one side of the strap. When you dc (tr) back into the length of ch, you are working back towards the heel, then 16 dc (tr) around the heel again, and finally you work another length of ch for the other side of the strap, and dc (tr) back along that length of ch towards the heel once again.
    Well that sounds confusing but it really isn't. I hope it helps! I'll add some more pictures when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok that makes sense thanks! will try again

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing your pattern,its so pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Supercute shows but is it suppose to be dc's on the way back on round 2 since the rest of the sole is just sc's?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I've made the change. It should be scs only for the sole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for sharing this pattern, it is wonderful, and i can't wait to try it later on tonight after i finish revising for this exam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sophie and good luck for your exam :-) It would be great to see your baby sandals if you can manage to add a link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I just had to stop in and say how super cute these are. I wish I knew someone that was having a baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meraviglioso = Wonderful!!!
    Tiziana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your lovely comments. I've just made a red pair (see my giveaway winner post) and a navy blue and green pair is nearly finished too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Carolina!!!
    I really enjoyed this! Thanks for telling us about it. We have a new baby in the family (born in January and a big boy). Would you like to crochet a pair of those cutest socks for him?
    Maybe 6 month or 8. How much would you charge? (I don't really care.)I think you made the right thing trying to sell them through a shop but you can sell them here as well! You are so talented!!! But I always knew that. I miss you.
    Lots of kind regards
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are absolutely adorable! You are very generous to share this lovely pattern for FREE. Thank you. So many of the patterns I find that are really cute cost a lot of money. Depending on the yarn used and color they would look adorable on any baby; boy or girl. Thank you again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you :-)

    Maria, I have emailed you.

    I have used so many free patterns, that I wanted to give something back. I do understand that some people earn their income from their patterns and I respect that, but I prefer to make mine available for free. I think there's enough choice on the cybermarket for everyone to find what suits them.
    I'm also working on creating larger/smaller sizes, but it may take me a while, so please bear with me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such adorable shoes and they look like they will stay on well too. Thanks for your generousity in sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the cute cute pattern. Just letting you know a few editing errors. On round 11 just inside the parenthesis you are missing the "2" on sc2tog and on round 13 times is spelled wrong. Minor minor but I'm just a perfectionist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Ariella! I've corrected the typos. I'm glad you pointed them out, I'm a bit of a perfectionist too but those typos just keep on sneaking in to my blog without me noticing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. these little sandals are adorable, but, i'm having a bit of difficulty following the pattern.when you ch 15 and begin in the 3rd chain from the hook, do those first 2 ch remain unworked? i'm trying to figure out where the first 2 sc in round 2 are stitched (would this be in one of the unworked chains?) i've actually tried to draw a diagram as i've ripped out many many times. i understand that the 12 sc make the long sides of the sandle and are arranged on top of each other.i'm also questioning if i should be turning the piece around where the 2 unworked chains are. please help!

    ReplyDelete
  21. would it be possible for you to make a diagram of this pattern? or a video? i so desperately want to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there,
    I've just had another look at the beginning two rows of the pattern. The first 2sc of the 2nd rnd are in fact worked in the turning stitch of the first rnd(yes, those unused 2ch). When you then continue the pattern, working 1 sc into the next 12 sts, you will get to the end of the row where the 3sc are worked, and from then on it's plain sailing I hope! The pattern is worked in continuous rounds.
    I hope this helps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What do you think about using Caron (100% acryclic) Simply Soft yarn or Bernat Satin?? Would you make adjustments in hook size??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mrs Smith,
    I'm based in Europe and we don't have those yarns here. I've just checked the gauge of one for which I chose a slightly thicker yarn and it's 5 stitches and 6 rows to the inch. I hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello,
    Just wanted to know if you have tried a larger size in the rainbow sandels?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have made them in slightly thicker cotton (Debbie Bliss Eco Baby) and they do come out a bit bigger, but I haven't yet got around to making a pattern for a bigger size yet.

      Delete
  26. Thanks for your great pattern. Please welcome to see my blog where you can find those! Date 13.6.2012.
    http://krassutellen.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice Kati. Congratulations on the birth of your lovely little boy :)

      Delete
  27. You state that the pattern can not be sold, but would I be able to sell the shoes once they are made? They are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, you're free to sell the shoes you make, but please add a link to my blog :)

      Delete
  28. Going to try and make a pair of ruby reds with white buttons to match the red/white dress I've sewn for my daughter to wear home from the hospital. Thanks so much for the pattern. I will send a picture of the finished product when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicky, I'm really looking forward to seeing the photo. I bet they're going to be gorgeous.

      Delete
  29. I might be missing it, but what are the amounts of yarn needed? Thank you for the pattern - I am going to try to make a pair for my 16 month great niece ( any suggestions on making these larger?).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love these, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. salam aishakenza can you translete it for me in french please or send me the digramme thanks hanane from algéria

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful sandal pattern! I featured them in a round-up at MNE Crafts! - http://www.mnecrafts.com/2014/04/10-free-patterns-sandals.html

    Thanks for your beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Adorable, thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for posting this adorable pattern!!! So much fun to crochet for little ones. I am working on stocking up for my neice, expected to arrive in November!! Love love love to crochet. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Maybe I missed it, but what size hook did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi there, is it possible to post\sent the uk version. As a novice crocheter I'm struggling to convert. Thankyou in anticipation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi it's easy to convert to UK terms. sc is a UK dc, and dc is a UK treble. I suggest you copy the text into a Word document, replace all the 'dc' with 'treble' first, then replace the 'sc' with 'dc' and you'll have the UK version.

      Delete
  37. I just finished a pair for my niece's baby , adorable . Your instructions are easy to follow. Thank you for sharing. DoubleOO

    ReplyDelete
  38. Darling Pattern, thanks for sharing! I want to make these for my Granddaughter who is a BIG 4 months old - how do I make these in a larger size? Thanks, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the best solution would probably be to use a larger hook and thicker yarn, but the result may not be ideal. One day I'll write the pattern for a larger size.

      Delete
    2. Hi, the best solution would probably be to use a larger hook and thicker yarn, but the result may not be ideal. One day I'll write the pattern for a larger size.

      Delete
  39. Stunning what a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather I just looked at your site, your patterns are gorgeous!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, glad you like them.

      Delete
  40. really i like this idea and i will try it and thank's for share with us like this informations

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love these adorable booties, I plan on making them and donating them to the hospital for babies and their families. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I need help here please. I am working on round 6 and i am stuck on where it says "1 st in the next 12 sts". What do you mean by that? I have 12 stitches left up to this point. Im not sure if you meant 12 sc as theres 12 stitches left. But then the total stitches on this round is 55 and i clearly dont have enough stitches to finish this round at all. I even redid the rounds 4-5 see if im missing something but its still the same. Please help. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love this pattern thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  44. Have you come up with adult sizes yet.
    Lisa Adelman

    ReplyDelete
  45. Much appreciated Ariella! I've revised the grammatical errors. I'm happy you brought up out, I'm somewhat of a stickler as well however those grammatical mistakes simply continue sneaking in to my blog without me taking note! kids toys in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi,
    I would love to make these for a 1 year old. Would just increasing the hook size with sport weight yarn work? I'm thinking a 5 mm hook. Thank you, the shoes are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  47. One type of jewelry that holds a special place in the hearts of Pakistanis is the traditional ladies ring design . These rings come in various styles, from simple and elegant to bold and extravagant, and are often worn on special occasions or as a symbol of status and wealth.

    ReplyDelete